Pages

Friday, February 24, 2012

Titanic 3D Review


If you know me at all, you know how much I love Titanic. As an 11-year-old girl when it first came out, I was the perfect age for the movie: I fell in love with Leo, saw the movie too many times in the theatres, and bought it on VHS the day it came out. Almost 15 years later, not much has changed. I'm not in love with Leo anymore, but I still love the movie and watch it a few times per year. So, suffice it to say: I know this movie.

So, when I had the chance to see a special advance screening, I jumped at the chance. I'm not really into 3D (I usually find the movies too gimmicky and the 3D distracting), but I figured it was a fun way to see my favorite movie in theatres again. Going in, I told my sister, "As long as we don't have to sit in the front row, I'm fine." As we settled into the front row (the last seats available), the lights dimmed and I couldn't even begin to contain my excitement.

The next three hours were absolutely surprising. Like I said, I know this movie by heart. But I found myself holding my breath on more than one occasion, telling myself I knew what would happen, but willing it to happen differently. The 3D is nothing short of truly stunning. After the first 10 minutes or so, I got used to it, and allowed it to pull me deeper into the movie. As a result, I noticed things in this movie I've simply glossed over before. The ship, and the passengers on the ship, became more real to me. Of course, the moments you expect to be fantastic in 3D, such as the "King of the World" scene, the kiss on the bow, etc., are all wonderful, but they actually take a backseat to some unexpectedly great 3D.

For instance, the scene where Rose is about to jump off the stern of the ship. After she climbs over the railing, there's a shot from directly above her, showing the icy water far below as she leans forward. In the 2D version, this is a fine shot, but nothing too striking. In 3D? It was all I could do to not grab the back of my seat as the shot showed the sheer magnitude of what she was about to do, and how ridiculously far from the water the ship actually was.

Most of all, the 3D did exactly what it was designed to do: pull the viewer into the movies. Especially in the second half of the movie, where the ship sinks (let's hope that's not a spoiler), I felt the plight of the doomed passengers more than I ever had. All of a sudden, they were real, not just extras or actors playing a part. Granted, some of this may be due to the fact that I was sitting in the front row, and literally couldn't see anything but the screen. But I believe that what Cameron and his team have done, especially with the smaller, nuanced 3D effects, have turned this blockbuster into a truly touching, emotional movie.

My advice: Go see it, and sit in the front few rows to be as involved as possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment